This week after 3 weeks of utter failure on the wheel – I don’t think I just had 3 bad days , I think I’ve lost it – I lugged a very heavy large press mould to the class . I made 2 – bisque not plaster – years ago but have not used either yet . This week it was the hexagonal one’s turn ;
I did it in my favourite white stoneware and arabesqued it in blue slip . I did trim it a bit more than is shown so it has a chance of not cracking as it shrinks . I tried to make the mould so that it could do 2 sizes of plate – which is why you can see a kind of ripple on it .
Overall my idea was always to make plates from press moulds , taller-than-they-are-wide pots from coils and learn throwing to do bowls . I guess this is yet another failed attempt at learning throwing – the one bowl I made is just a fluke . However much the tutor tries to be encouraging – it’s her job – lots of other people in the (only weekly) class have progressed considerably on the wheel .
The double spouted effort now out of the kiln . I quite like the ‘crayoned’ effect with cobalt slip but I think I should have improved the coverage so that the sgraffito showed up more .