I had lots of ideas for more felts (spring flowers , pink arabesques on grey , sun colours , another go at pearls or mother of ) so first of all I tried to find something to make which needed no new colours . The idea was to keep me busy until the next order came from Adelaide Walker . I reckoned I could do sunrise and sunset colours with what I already had both in wool fleece for the initial felting and silk scraps for decoration . This has turned out to be more difficult/complicated than I initially thought…
My plan became to try and differentiate between sunrise and sunset colours by doing a half circle of each and joining them along the straight edges . Maybe then each half could be a possible top ? Actually such colours are not really all that dissimilar so I thought I would rely more on the background sky as well as trying to keep the sunset for cooler colours and (thus the sunrise colours warmer) . So I used Black Welsh fleece as the base layer for sunset and Wensleydale (a creamy white) as the base layer for sunrise . Unfortunately the sunset half circle was not tightly enough rolled and black fluff ended up all over it , most noticeably on the cool pink I had used . I intend to machine embroider on it , I hope to modify the colours a little . The sunrise colours have worked better but I made another elementary mistake which has entailed extra work ! Instead of a half circle (180deg) I managed to produce a fan shape more like 170deg ! Note to self : felt does not stretch except when you do not want it to and under its own weight . Therefore always aim for overlaps (ie a more than 1/2 circle or about 185+deg) .
The sunrise one has therefore needed inserts of flame pink silk dupion and a suitable turquoise nylon organza-type ribbon . This was tricky but has worked.
Both are a bit long and shallow for 1/2 circles so I aim to join them with a strip of gold coloured silk embroidered with metallic thread to represent the Sun . That starts tomorrow once the sunset piece has been improved .